Re: F40: strange network issue after upgrade of laptop from F39

On Fri, May 24, 2024 at 10:31 AM Tim via users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tim:
> >> For some networks, it's simply going to be the DHCP server assigning
> >> you an IP to a MAC address it knows about (hardware details about your
> >> network).  This will get messed up if your hardware supplies random MAC
> >> addresses each time it makes a connection.
>
> Ranjan Maitra:
> > I suspect it is this above, since this is a one-time deal, only when
> > a computer is set up for the first time (but done through the browser
> > that one time). After that, it never asks for registration again
> > unless the computer in question has not connected for months (in
> > which case it has to be validated).
>
> When you connect to a network using DHCP, your device tries asking for
> the same IP it had last time.  Their server *may* honour that.  But I
> think you'd get a different IP each time unless they had a vast reserve
> of spare IPs to allocate each person the same one each time.  Though
> this shouldn't be an authentication problem, DHCP is supposed to be
> able to handle changed addresses.
>
> What the DHCP server uses to fingerprint you, to identify your device
> as the same device each time you connect, can be a combination of
> things, and they can be remembered for as long (or short) as they want
> their DHCP server to hold the data:
>
> Your network interface's MAC (which will be different for cabled
> ethernet and wireless on the same device, and is randomly changed with
> some hardware, and randomised by some software configurations).  Each
> MAC is supposed to be unique, though there have been cases of network
> hardware with duplicated "unique" ids.  And since some devices use
> randomised MACs, there is a chance that it might pick the same MAC as
> someone else on the network.  That can cause problems.
>
> Your network configuration can also supply another kind of ID as a kind
> of fingerprint.  A DHCP server can use that to ID you across different
> visits.  This is an optional thing, many clients don't supply that info
> to the server.
>
> Between the data of your MAC and another unique ID, your device can be
> recognised as previously authorised, and considered still authorised
> (if their system works that way, and your info stays the same each
> time).  Various ISPs work that way, the first thing connected to them
> during the set-up process (your modem or router) is used to
> authenticate you as a valid customer.  If you change your router, you
> may have to call customer support to get it "allowed."  Likewise if you
> have multiple devices that directly connect to a network, at different
> times.
>
> I'd look through network configuration options related to privacy or
> randomised MAC (same thing, different titles).
>
> Another thing that springs to mind is IPv6.
>
> > I don't know if this matters but I do not need to keep the browser on
> > after that first-time registration. Also, I never store my cache so
> > once the browser is shut down, the cache is deleted.

> [...]

This smells of Captive Portal and MAC Randomizations.

I think Patrick O'Callaghan was spot on: OP needs to talk to his
admins because he does not know if he is in a captive portal system,
and OP does not know his network manager settings. Someone with
knowledge of the systems will be better positioned to help OP.

Jeff