Re: F40: strange network issue after upgrade of laptop from F39

Tim:
>> For some networks, it's simply going to be the DHCP server assigning
>> you an IP to a MAC address it knows about (hardware details about your
>> network).  This will get messed up if your hardware supplies random MAC
>> addresses each time it makes a connection.

Ranjan Maitra:
> I suspect it is this above, since this is a one-time deal, only when
> a computer is set up for the first time (but done through the browser
> that one time). After that, it never asks for registration again
> unless the computer in question has not connected for months (in
> which case it has to be validated).

When you connect to a network using DHCP, your device tries asking for
the same IP it had last time.  Their server *may* honour that.  But I
think you'd get a different IP each time unless they had a vast reserve
of spare IPs to allocate each person the same one each time.  Though
this shouldn't be an authentication problem, DHCP is supposed to be
able to handle changed addresses.

What the DHCP server uses to fingerprint you, to identify your device
as the same device each time you connect, can be a combination of
things, and they can be remembered for as long (or short) as they want
their DHCP server to hold the data:

Your network interface's MAC (which will be different for cabled
ethernet and wireless on the same device, and is randomly changed with
some hardware, and randomised by some software configurations).  Each
MAC is supposed to be unique, though there have been cases of network
hardware with duplicated "unique" ids.  And since some devices use
randomised MACs, there is a chance that it might pick the same MAC as
someone else on the network.  That can cause problems.

Your network configuration can also supply another kind of ID as a kind
of fingerprint.  A DHCP server can use that to ID you across different
visits.  This is an optional thing, many clients don't supply that info
to the server.

Between the data of your MAC and another unique ID, your device can be
recognised as previously authorised, and considered still authorised
(if their system works that way, and your info stays the same each
time).  Various ISPs work that way, the first thing connected to them
during the set-up process (your modem or router) is used to
authenticate you as a valid customer.  If you change your router, you
may have to call customer support to get it "allowed."  Likewise if you
have multiple devices that directly connect to a network, at different
times.

I'd look through network configuration options related to privacy or
randomised MAC (same thing, different titles).

Another thing that springs to mind is IPv6.

> I don't know if this matters but I do not need to keep the browser on
> after that first-time registration. Also, I never store my cache so
> once the browser is shut down, the cache is deleted.

That sounds right.  Once you're authenticated into the system, that
should be the end of the process.  You may have to authenticate each
time you login, but shouldn't have to maintain some kind of keep-alive
through the browser for a session, that'd be a daft way to maintain a
network (not that that stopped some early ISPs from requiring some kind
of heartbeat from their clients).

You could have to do the authentication each time you connect to their
network.  That's a reasonable thing to expect, and normally a good
security measure (it stops someone nicking a device then using it in
your name).  Though can be a pain with wireless hardware, connections
come and go with them, even though you're intending it to be one
continuous session.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.118.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Apr 24 16:01:50 UTC 2024 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.