Re: statistics on Fedora and RHEL usage

On 5/13/24 01:29, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
We used to run Red Hat and CentOS web servers. We had to migrate away from them due to their antique software. Some (many?) enterprises may like the fact that the platform has 10 or 15 year old software so their 20 year old web apps don't need to be refreshed. And trying to get updated software via Software Collection (SCL) knows it is the pits.

But we found the antique software too limiting. We could not even run modern MediaWiki software on our Red Hat and CentOS web servers. We use Fedora server nowadays. We get the latest versions of packages carried by the distro, and we get SElinux. And it runs a modern LAMPs stack.

And we avoid the antique software and its unknown and unfixed bugs. Hacking teams love that old software that is no longer being maintained. It means their exploits will usually work forever.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

That was very well stated.   About 10 years ago, I was
configuring a Linux server with CentOS for a customer.
To test all the hardware, I booted into the Live USB
tick I used to install the server.  It worked perfectly.
After installing, native would only work every 5 or
more boots.  What ??? Back in with the live USB.  Booted
perfectly every time.   The USB stick was slower.  It
was a timing issue.  Red Hat refused to fix it as
I was not a subscriber.

Out of desperation, I switched to Fedora.  It worked
perfectly.

Then I switched my office over to Fedora.  Everything that
did not work or worked poorly was fixed.  Well a few things
did not and I reported them, Fedora fixed the post haste.
I was in Linux heaven.  I still get the giggles every
time I boot up.  After the  S-T-R-E-S-S  of CentOS, I absolute
ADORE Fedora!

The thing about antique software, like RHEL and friends, is
that it is being used as an appliance, such as
a toaster or a microwave oven.  Set and forget.
Kaisen it is not.

Kaisen: continuously improve
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizen

And if you want an "appliance", you can do that with ANY OS.
Just get you stuff going, lock it down.  Shut off all updates,
set and forget.  It is a much more reasonable way to do
an appliance rather than hope some defunct system will
actually work with your software.

A Windows colleague told me about an XP installation
he uses for some surveillance thing.  He minimized
it, took it off the network, installed just his
software.  Set and forget.  He has not rebooted
in years.  (For those of you not familiar with
Windows, it needs to be reboot about every three
days or it goes slowly screwy.  Windows is awful quality.)

-T