Re: The best way to still use Fedora + Xorg + Gnome ... even after version 40

On Sat, 2024-04-20 at 19:48 -0300, George N. White III wrote:
> There are things Wayland won't permit (xeyes), and things that are yet to
> implemented.

No xeyes?  Who doesn't want a pair of googlie eyes goofily staring at
their mouse pointer?

Actually, I do have a pair of them on this PC, I use them from time-to-
time to find the mouse when the pointer has gone darting off in weird
directions for inexplicable reasons.  And they, and a clock with
ticking seconds, are a good indicator that the computer has or hasn't
crashed when you it goes unresponsive to your commands.

Jokes aside, when something doesn't do what you want (whatever that may
be), why would you use it?  Promises that the feature you want may
appear in a few years mean nothing to me.  It's no good to me know, and
is akin to the lie told to patients in hospitals that "the doctor will
see you shortly," when you know damn well they ain't gonna, because
they're elsewhere and nobody has even asked them to come see you.

And if they do add all the features you want back in, you're back to
using the product they've trashed to take its place (with new sets of
security problems).  You may as well have worked on the original
product and fixed it.  Wayland smacks of "I didn't invent it."

> The latter may not get much attention if they aren't considered
> important by large enterprises.

Hmm, I seem to recall Linux as being anti-establishment.  And mostly
run by actual users not corporate shills.

If people are going to turn it into Windows you may as well use
Windows.  I've never understood that mentality.  We picked Linux
precisely because it wasn't.

> Colleagues in large enterprises have moved to Web-based interfaces
> (jupyter, sagemath, and rstudio are examples).

I notice banks have always done that kind of thing.  The teller's
terminal was either simply a text console, and they tabbed between
things on the form, or menued over to other forms, which virtually any
computer could do.  Or, these days, it's a web browser, and one has to
hope that it's on a completely private network.  Because we know how
secure browsers aren't.

But I've yet to see an email interface in a web page, as just one
example, that's not vastly inferior to a real email client.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.114.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Mar 20 15:54:52 UTC 2024 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.