Re: The best way to still use Fedora + Xorg + Gnome ... even after version 40

On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 07:48:16PM -0300, George N. White III wrote:
On Fri, Apr 19, 2024 at 8:26 AM Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Barry writes:

> The problem is no one is maintaining the X11 code.
>
> All the people that used to work on X11 moved on to wayland
> after it became very clear that X11’s design was preventing
implementation
> of features that end users wanted.
>
> So if you stick on X11 you will be running code that is unmaintained.

This is definitely a problem if this means that security vulnerabilities
don't get addressed, or if new hardware is unsupported by the existing
code.

Some vulnerabilities have been known for years and not addressed as they
would require major redesign.  Some large enterprises limit the use of Xorg
out of concerns over security.

I can't buy these repeatedly and ad nauseam asserted ideas of x11/xorg
vulnerabilities as an excuse for dumping the Xorg/X11 system as a
whole. Over at Openbsd they have an X based on X.org that is probably
tons more secure than the ones on any Linux system ever:
https://xenocara.org/

So I don't see any technical problems as to why the Linux devs could
not port that X version from Openbsd to Linux systems, if X11/Xorg
were really that vulnerable - at least as long as Wayland isn't ready.

It's the hypocrisy that drove me away from what Linux is today. Not
even so much the techical side of the OS: the Linux sponsors or
maintainers could tell me that they don't want to spend resources to
maintain Xorg additionally to wayland - I'd be fine with it, more or
less: there are other options than Linux. But to see the whole Xorg
thing getting dumped as long as wayland isn't ready hurts. And it is -
to put it very mildly - incomprehensible to me.

If we build a new house, because the old one isn't safe anymore, is
leaking or just lousy, we destroy the old one only if and when the new
one is ready to live in, i.e. if we have a new place where we can live
- a no-brainer, actually.

Good luck, guys!

best.

PS:
And besides: there's even work done on wayland over at Openbsd:
https://www.openbsd.org/papers/eurobsdcon2023-matthieu-wayland-openbsd.pdf
--
Wolfgang