Re: double left click copy / middle click paste not working

On Fri, 2024-01-05 at 12:50 +0000, Andre Robatino wrote:
> If you're talking about "Mouse & Touchpad" under Settings, "Single
> Click" and "Double Click" both work with the left button, but neither
> do anything with the middle button, though I'm not sure if they're
> supposed to since I never used this before.

In various "mouse preferences" control panels on Linux there's a click-
to-test section, where any mouse button you press over it will be
detected, and it indicate that it noticed it.  While it's intended for
you to test out what your double-click speed time-out will be, it also
serves as a way to test out each mouse button.

I find that I have to replace wheel mice every now and then in trying
environments where the mouse often gets knocked off the table, or where
things fall on it.  The wheel protudes and takes the brunt of any
impact.  Then the switch becomes unreliable, or more to the point, the
soldering that attaches the switch to the circuitboard is damaged.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes you have to hammer
it to get it work, sometimes one press becomes multiple.

Dunno why mice always fall off and land upside down, it's like buttered
toast...

Kinda wishing the current mouse would fail - the rubber mouse wheel is
aggravating my skin allergies.  But it's hard to find any mice which
don't rubber-coat the wheel.

Ones with actual micro-switches, not tactile switches, are much better.
Tactile switches are a lousy design with a very limited lifespan.

You can see what the different types look like here:
https://www.jaycar.com.au/spdt-250vac-5a-micro-switch/p/SM1050
https://www.jaycar.com.au/0-7mm-spst-micro-tactile-switch/p/SP0600
They're very *different* types of switch design.

Though it can be hard to buy a mouse with a microswitch, as they often
lie and call "tactile switches" "micro switches."

Cable breaks are another common issue with mice, at the part where the
cable exits the mouse body.  It's combination of metal fatigue from all
the movement, or getting knocked into things while you mouse around a
cluttered desk.  Then, as you move the mouse about there's a deluge of
signal disconnects and reconnects, which upsets the hardware.

I noticed PS/2 mice were really prone to erratic behaviour on extension
leads (this was in the era of moving from desktop to tower cases, where
the mice cables were often too short).  I came to the conclusion there
was a significant voltage drop across the tiny wiring inside the
extension cable.

I rarer, but not impossible, situation is static electricity damage.
Whizzing a plastic object around some kinds of surfaces can build up a
static charge.  Electronics don't like that.

--

NB:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
I will only get to see the messages that are posted to the list.

The following system info data is generated fresh for each post:

uname -rsvp
Linux 6.2.15-100.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu May 11 16:51:53
UTC 2023 x86_64