Re: How can you get remote access to laptops behind a NAT/firewall?

On 12/21/23 14:39, Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
So my question is, is there any sort of software which is similar to
Quick Assist we can install on our Linux laptops so that the Linux
team sysadmins can get access to laptops? I've seen folks on this
list talk about TeamViewer and AnyDesk, but both of those seem to be
paid solutions. Is there any sort of F/OSS solution?

In essence, these solutions are functionally like using a VPN.  The
computer keeps an open connection to a server whenever it can, and that
connection can then be used to allow the server to access the computer.
So you could set up a separate "management" VPN system, like OpenVPN,
that then isolates each client connection (so one user can't access
another user's computer directly across it).  Don't send a default
route, just use an independent RFC1918 (or IPv6 ULA) block from any
other corporate networks.

Yeah, I was looking at things like Nebula for a sort of background VPN for systems management, but that looks like overkill.

I may wind up just having a tiny OpenVPN instance in the cloud that users can connect to so admins can ssh in or run playbooks over the VPN. I was hoping for something less manual, though. With the Windows laptops, as soon as folks authenticate to Azure AD, the helpdesk guys can just fire up a remote desktop. I'd love something that easy.

I suppose I could set up the laptops so that they log into the VPN at boot, that would do the same thing and the staff on the Linux laptops wouldn't have to do anything manual. But I don't want to chew up that VPN bandwidth if I don't have to.

Thomas