Re: Anyone know of any cards or accessories that allow a desktop to make calls on a cellular network?

On Thu, Oct 5, 2023 at 11:45 PM Tim via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tim:

>> Thankfully, here, we've finally got to the stage where mobile phones
>> don't cost you an arm and a leg to speak to someone in call and
>> monthly charges.  It's put landlines and payphones to death, now it's
>> virtually only organisations with staff still using landlines.

I live in a rural area where cell service is spotty and prone to outages when
storms take out power or relay towers.  POTS is also prone to outages, but
both going out at the same time is rare.   Many farmers had 2-way radio in
their farm machinery and vehicles, but are switching to cell phones.

> Same thing happening here, the POTS providers see a steady erosion in
> their land line user base over time.

I think I've only had one genuine call on the landline in the last
couple of years, everything else has been some kind of nuisance call or
scam.

When I retired and moved to a different town I had to get a new landline
number.  It gets a constant stream of debt collector calls, so clearly the
previous person assigned the number was a deadbeat..  Some financial organizations
insist that you use a landline with an address they can verify.  My mail goes to a
PO Box -- possibly they are more careful when you don't have a street address
for mail.

I have one major reason for keeping the landline, in an emergency call
they know the exact address you're calling from.  If you flake out in
the middle of calling for help, they know where to send it.  Plus with
a cabled traditional phone, it's not hiding down the back of the sofa
nor has a flat battery.

I have a network monitoring system and flood alarms that send alerts
using the landline.   I'm thinking about adding a voicemail saying "This
number is used only for outgoing calls. Hang up now." when my blocklist
gets full

--
George N. White III