Re: Anyone know of any cards or accessories that allow a desktop to make calls on a cellular network?

On Fri, 06 Oct 2023 02:07:54 +1030
Tim via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2023-10-05 at 08:07 -0700, stan via users wrote:
> > OK, I saw mention of asterisk in the results I found, but I have no
> > idea what a 4G or 5G usb-stick is.  Is that something like what
> > Javier mentioned, an addon that creates a local hotspot?  I can
> > already access the web from my phone via the wireless on my ISP
> > modem.  Is that the same?
>
> A 4G/5G usb-stick is essentially a mobile phone modem in the USB
> stick. So, similar to connecting your computer to your phone and
> using your phone as a modem.

Is that what is called 'tethering'?  That is, does it give two way
access to the phone, so photos and such can be downloaded from the
phone to the PC?  When I followed Javier's link,
https://www.amazon.com/Eboxer-Portable-Computer-Wireless-Receiver/dp/B07L5QMPJW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1VSGW5NK6KRT7&keywords=4g+modem+card+for+pc&qid=1696516076&sprefix=4g+modem+card+for+pc%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-3
it seemed to suggest that it was possible to surf the web without using
a 'sim'. I don't see how that is possible.  Wouldn't the cell provider
be checking if the user had authorization to use the cell data network,
and be metering the data flow?  Or is that saying that the usb-stick
doesn't need a 'sim', and that the computer is using the cell phone
'sim'?  The price is reasonable to gain access to the phone, at least.

> However... there's always a "but."
>
> You may find that using your phone it gives you limited access to the
> cellular network.  That's all going to depend on your particular
> phone.
>
> And conversely, you may have to hunt around to find a USB stick modem
> that's compatible with Fedora.

Good caveats to keep in mind.

> Asterisk is a full blown computerised version of an office PABX, you
> may find yourself in a configuration minefield if all you wanted was
> voice calling.  Though it may be your best option if you simply want
> to be able to call any other phone as if you were using a phone.

I can't be the only one who would want to use it in minimal mode.
Maybe, since my use case is so simple, I could just use the default
configuration, and ignore all the other bells and whistles.

> If you just want to call particular friends, and didn't actually have
> to be a phone call, Skype and Zoom are options (they only call other
> Skype or Zoom accounts, as far as I know, Skype may have had a pay for
> real phone calls option).  They can do voice-only calls as well as
> video chat.

The xmpp solution that murph pointed me to seems like it would work
just great for my needs.  A little cautious because of unfamiliarity,
but the faq page seems to make that clear.  I like that it is open
source code, even if there is a monthly charge for the infrastructure.
The charge is low, it might even make sense to have it as a backup for
the smartphone all the time, rather than replacing it.

> Thankfully, here, we've finally got to the stage where mobile phones
> don't cost you an arm and a leg to speak to someone in call and
> monthly charges.  It's put landlines and payphones to death, now it's
> virtually only organisations with staff still using landlines.

Same thing happening here, the POTS providers see a steady erosion in
their land line user base over time.