Re: restoring fedora boot manager

On Tue, 2023-09-19 at 20:40 -0400, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> I had to reinstall my windows system which is fine it takes care of
> itself. But, I have to install my entire fedora system from scratch. Is
> there a way to simply reinstall the boot loader code without having to
> install from scratch with a UEFI system? I'm sure there is but I don't
> know about it. There's also a command called "efibootmgr" is this what I
> am looking for? AFAIK fedora doesn't install more partitions but just
> code in the /boot/efi partition. How can I reinstall or repair boot
> loader code without touching the system? Without having to reinstalling
> from scratch?

If Fedora has fully installed, it ought to do this for you.  But
nonetheless, it probably has installed everything, just hasn't set an
entry in the bootlist for itself, or something else boots first without
any timeout period for you to choose otherwise.  The efibootmgr should
let you set one.

You can run the command as an ordinary user, and it'll show you a list
of boot options.  On this PC, mine shows this:

[tim@rocky ~]$ efibootmgr
BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0000,0003,0005,0004
Boot0000* CentOS
Boot0003* CD/DVD Drive
Boot0004  Hard Drive
Boot0005* USB

I don't recall why mine skips 0001 and 0002, I probably removed some
stupid or duplicate options that I found in there.

As a root user (e.g. via sudo), you can also change the order, and add
and remove entries.  Essentially it's editing some data in the non-
volatile RAM.

If Fedora is in there somewhere it can be a boot option in the firmware
as your PC boots up, no having to delve into it and change settings.
If you have a decent UEFI, you can get a list of clickable things to
boot from.

I'd suggest look at its man file, show us your details, and grill us
about what you can't work out.

Alternatively, Windows should have a similar equivalent editing
function.  You could see if it lists Fedora, and if it gives you any
obvious ways to change the settings to your liking.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.95.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jul 24 13:59:37 UTC 2023 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.