Re: TPM Error on Warm Boot From F38

On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 09:32:22 +1000
Stephen Morris <samorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The bios is set to boot off my ssd drive, which is the first drive
> plugged into the motherboard, which is the device that Fedora sees as
> hd2.
>
> I did a system update yesterday, which upgraded the kernel to 6.4.12
> and also updated grub, and then updated the grub menus via
> grub2-mkconfig as I always do, and that has not made any difference
> to the issue. I have grub configured to build sub-menus for all the
> kernel entries as well as showing the latest kernel in the main menu,
> so that I have all the Fedora kernels and Ubuntu kernels in
> sub-menus. What I have now found is that if I open up a sub-menu,
> that is when the tpm error occurs, and since the grub update it is
> now producing an extra error telling me to load a kernel first (what
> I don't understand is that message seems to be coming from an I386
> sub-folder but my environment is 64 bit, or does that mean that
> somehow or other grub has reverted to 32 bit?).
> I've also mentioned in another thread, that if when I get the tpm
> errors I edit the grub menu entry and change all occurrences of hd2
> to hd0, even though it continues to display the tpm errors it
> successfully boots into F38. It seems as though at the moment it
> boots normally if I select a main menu entry to boot from, but only
> if the tpm error hasn't already occurred. If the tpm error has
> occurred none of the menu entries will boot, which includes the
> Chainloader entry for Windows.
>
> Having started my machine from a cold start, when the grub menu's
> were displayed, I went to the grub command line and issued the LS
> command to list all devices, that showed my boot device as hd0
> (hd0,gpt1 - hd0,gpt9), and then when I exited from the command line,
> and selected the menu entry for the latest Fedora kernel, which
> specified to boot from hd2,gpt7 (this is the fedora UEFI partition),
> it successfully booted into Fedora.
> How is this possible when the grub command line is indicating that
> grub is seeing the devices differently? What I might add to this is
> that the way the grub command line is showing the devices is the way
> I would expect them to be shown given the way the devices are
> physically connected to the motherboard.

I understand what you are asking, and it is certainly a conundrum, but
I have no insight to offer.  Maybe open a bugzilla against grub2.  I
don't think it is the problem, but the people who maintain grub2
probably have a good understanding of this part of the boot process, and
might be able to point to the real culprit.