Re: More hibernation mystery

On Wed, 2023-08-16 at 00:13 -0500, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> My apologies for this, but this is how we go about hibernating on a
> new system now? In the past, from F34 or before, which is why I last
> set up this machine and have upgraded it using dnf ever since, it was
> pretty much automatic. Before that, some more work was needed (for a
> while):
>

> sudo vi /etc/default/grub
>
> add --> resume=UUID="****" <-- to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=
>
> where the UUID is obtained using blkid.
>
> then
>
> sudo bash -x grub2-mkconfig
>
> # # for efi-based systems: #
>
> sudo bash -x grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
>
> In either case, systemctl hibernate is enough to set it to hibernate.
>
> But all this was not much, compared to what has been described on the
> thread. What changed? I am just trying to understand this in advance,
> as I was thikning of doing a clean install just to get rid of crud
> that inevitably creeps into my system. Having reliable hibernate (and
> this has been so for me all these years) is very important to me.
>
> In the past, I have had a separate physical partition for swap.
> Nowadays, I think that there is something else (dynamic swap) but I
> am not sure if that matters.
>
> Any enlightenment?

[Please don't top-post]

At least some of the contortions I've gone through are due to using a
BTRFS subvolume as the hibernation target. This involves some messing
about with SElinux attributes, COW etc., not to mention special
trickery to get the appropriate UUID (blkid gives you the UUID of the
physical device, which is not what you need).

However the rest of it involves turning the target on and off so as not
to interfere with the normal swap system, hence the systemd units. It
could certainly be made a lot easier and more automatic.

Editing the Grub line isn't the only way to set it up however. There
are a couple of entries in /sys/power/resume* which could in principal
be poked directly, however they aren't currently documented in sysfs(5)
so I decided to be conservative.

It's all working now, touch wood.

poc