Re: software or hardware raid?

Thanks, Chris!

On Thu Mar02'23 02:49:49PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> From: Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 14:49:49 -0600
> To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: software or hardware raid?
>
> Once upon a time, Ranjan Maitra <mlmaitra@xxxxxxx> said:
> > Thanks to everybody. I recall discussion from several years ago on the benefits of software over hardware RAID. I had completely forgotten about UPS for this new machine. Btw, what happens if power goes out (and I do not have UPS)?
>
> Linux software RAID keeps a bitmap of pending writes by default, which
> is an okay (but not perfect) mechanism to recover from unexpected
> shutdown.  There's also an option to keep a write journal instead, but
> unless you put that on a separate fast device (e.g. quality SSD with
> long write lifetime), it'll impact performance significantly.
>
> There are trade-offs between various types of SW and HW RAID, so really
> the first question would be "what are your requirements and
> expectations".  Are you talking about a high-uptime server, or a desktop
> where you just want to make hardware failure less annoying?  RAID (HW or
> SW) is NOT backups, so you shouldn't depend on it for saving your
> data.

Thanks, this will be a fairly high uptime machine (not allowed to call it a server here, because that is central IT's role to have and administer:-), running lots of jobs at least a large part of the time, but the  RAID will be on the /. It is more to keep the machine going if one of the two / drives fail (and till such time as I can get and put in a new one).

For /home (which is where my data reside), I have 2 backups done using rsync every hour. I plan to copy the actual /home to the second one, and I was  thinking that the third one would be incremental backup (kept  for a year, since I occasionally realize weeks and months later that I really want a file back from long ago) or so.

> HW RAID has some advantages - quality controllers will have
> battery-backed cache, so things like write journaling don't impact
> performance and recovery from unexpected power failures is basically
> instantaneous.  For high performance requirements, there's less overhead
> with HW RAID (because data only has to transit the bus once, then the
> RAID controller has its own paths to the drives).  But HW RAID typically
> requires odd and/or proprietary software to manage, detect failures,
> etc.  Depending on the RAID level you are using, recovery from a failure
> of the controller itself can be harder too.
>
> > Btw, I still stick to ext4, largely because of inertia (and because I have used lvm in the past and hated its naming conventions, I think, but there were also other limitations that I do not now recall) and have stayed away from zfs or btrfs or lvm. I am not sure what to do now. Clearly, things have moved far on.
>
> I'm generally in the XFS on LVM (on SW mdraid when needed) camp
> myself... LVM adds a significant layer of flexibility and ability, but
> still using more "traditional" filesystems like XFS and ext4.  I had
> poor experiences with ZFS at a former job, and am still a little leery
> of some of the approach BTRFS takes.
>
> I'm playing with adding the dm-integrity layer for my SW mdraid (so then
> XFS on LVM on mdraid on integrity on drive) setup as an additional check
> against silent drive failures, but again, unless you put that data on a
> separate fast SSD, it slows down performance a lot.

I see, so your recommendation is to go for xfs?

Many thanks again, and best wishes,
Ranjan