Re: Adobe Acrobat Can't Find the pdf File When Trying to Display an Email Attachment in Thunderbird Daily

On 10/2/23 01:38, Tim via users wrote:
On Thu, 2023-02-09 at 21:05 +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:
I've checked two mails with attachments, one mail has the pdf attachment
as content type application/binary-octet and the other has the content
type of application/pdf on the attachment and the issue occurs with both
of them.
On that note, it's not a good idea to try and get your program to open
PDFs sent as application/binary-octet, because it'll try to do the same
thing with any other non-PDF file.  Fun and chaos will ensue.
I had no idea that mime type was being used for the mail attachment until I viewed the mail source and searched through the source for the attachment that I found what mimetype the attachment had been added with.

You can try setting it to pass the file to xdg-open, and then xdg-open
will try opening the file in the right application for what the file
is.  See if that changes anything.
To use xdg-open do I need to save the attachment first, or if not, when I am clicking on the attachment in the attachment bar at the bottom of the mail, to browse the attachment, how do I pass that into xdg-open?

If you allow Thunderbird to directly open the PDF in Okular, can you
view properties of the PDF file in Okular, and see where the temporary
file is being loaded from?
The attachments are being saved to a sub-folder of /tmp where the sub-folder name looks like it may have been named to reflect the pid of Thunderbird.

A wild thought:  Is it a filename with blank spaces in it?
The attachment that is mimetype application/binary-octet does have embedded blanks in the attachment name, the attachment that is mimetype application/pdf doesn't have embedded blanks in the attachment name.

Interestingly, I registered Acrobat as the default application for mimetype application/pdf, so when I clicked on the application/pdf mimetype attachment the prompt asked me if I wanted to open it the default of Acrobat, but to check to location of the file I selected Okular instead. When I then opened the email that had the mimetype application/binary-octet attachment, when I clicked on the attachment the prompt asked me if I wanted to open the file in Okular even though it had Acrobat as the default. What I don't know from this functionality is whether what I'm seeing is standard Linux, or a feature of the version of Thunderbird I am using, as I expected the prompt to ask whether I wanted the file to be opened in whatever was the default application for the associated mimetype.

regards,
Steve