Re: Adobe Acrobat Can't Find the pdf File When Trying to Display an Email Attachment in Thunderbird Daily

On 8/2/23 22:59, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2023-02-07 at 22:59 -0800, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
On 2/7/23 00:02, Stephen Morris wrote:
Ocular reads the pdf's as well, but I'm used to using Acrobat under
Windows and previous versions of Fedora where I did not have the
same
issues I am now, and we also use Acrobat at work.

regards,
Steve
I never cared for Ocular.
I use Okular [sic] all the time.
I could use Ocular as well, but in the past I have found the odd situation where Ocular doesn't display the pdf contents properly and Acrobat does, so I have tended to use Acrobat, and until now I have never had any issues with the Linux implementation. Having said this though, I think up until F36 Acrobat was installed via an installed repository designed for Fedora, it wasn't until F36 that the recommended method for installing Acrobat was Snap, but I also had no situation under F36 where I had a need to open a pdf mail attachment, hence don't know whether the issue I have now has always been there with the snap implementation or has only become an issue with F37. As I mentioned in my reply to Todd, the Ocular association definition specifies a %U parameter to pass in the name and location of the file to display, but that specification doesn't work with Acrobat, so at the moment I don't know whether Acrobat requires a different parameter and if so whether that parameter is supported under Fedora. The other thing I found strange is, I have Thunderbird Daily configured to prompt for download locations, and when I click on the pdf attachment in the mail I get prompted to open it in the default app or save it. In the default app drop down in that dialogue, when the default app was Ocular, if I select "Other" to select a different app, Acrobat does not appear in the list of selectable apps even though it is specified the app list in the pdf application association. So I'm not even sure at the moment if the snap implementation has been done properly or whether there is some other package that I'm missing.

regards,
Steve

poc