Re: Installed Fedora 37 on older Dell with Windows 10, but doen't show windows as boot option??

On 9 Jan 2023 at 17:47, Jonathan Billings wrote:
From:            Jonathan Billings <billings@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:         Re: Installed Fedora 37 on older Dell with Windows 10, but doen't show windows as boot option??
Date sent:       Mon, 9 Jan 2023 17:47:01 -0500
To:              Community support for Fedora users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Send reply to:   Community support for Fedora users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> On Jan 9, 2023, at 00:17, Michael D. Setzer II via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Well have to look into it. Was expecting the installation
> > of Fedora to handle the adding of Fedora to the current
> > boot setup. Don't recall it prompting for changing boot to
> > UEFI from the existing Legacy that the Windows 10 on
> > the Dell machine had. Bought the dell machine on ebay
> > for about $150 with 8G ram and 1T drive just to have a
> > windows machine around. Other 6 machines all Fedora.
> > So, don't have any windows installation media. So, at
> > precent the default boot on machine comes up with
> > Fedora, and no offer of windows in UEFI manager. Have
> > to use the F12 key, which then default to show the
> > Legacy boot from drive that brings up the Windows 10
> > just fine. On my notebook, the grub menu has the
> > Window 7 as a boot option from sda2. The Dell also is
> > partition. Has sda3 as a FAT16 partition that was created
> > by install, since before disk only had sda1 and sda2.
>
> Fedora will use the boot firmware that was used to boot the installation
> media. If you boot it as a legacy BIOS boot, it’ll use legacy.  If you use
> UEFI, it will use that.  It isn’t able to discern if that ntfs partition
> was a legacy boot OS or just a data partition.

Figure when I booted with F12 the dell listed the legacy drive, the cd, and the usb device name. It also had Fedora listed under UEFI, so I must have selected it, so it did the UEFI. Don't know how it would be unable to determine disk configuration? Seems the boot flag on partition would be a clue, and that it had to create sda3 as a fat16 partition to put the UEFI boot stuff. Then it set boot flag to sda3, so after it installed, and rebooted, got a message that legacy boot failed since sda3 did not have legacy boot info. Had to elect the UEFI boot to load the Fedora, and then change the boot flag to sda2, and now system will default boot to Fedora with the UEFI, but F12 and selecting Legacy will load the Window 10.
> Perhaps there needs to be more logic about that, but at this point, legacy
> bios boot support is waning and it’s probably not worth the effort.
Probable true, but my 5 other Fedora machines all use BIOS, some motherboards don't seem to have UEFI option. Interestingly, the Dell does, but since its I3 is only 4th gen and not 8th gen. It can not upgrade to Windows 11??
Did find an interesting problem still exist between Windows and Fedora 37 as did with earlier verions.
If boot to windows, and do a warm boot to linux, the network card will fail to connect. Even warm rebooting from linux results in same thing. ifconfig down and up doesn't fix it. Seems windows does something weird to network card that require a hard boot to clear, or a process I was able to create for my G4L project that resets it.
Don't recall where got info to set this to 1, but it works.
#Modified Sept 20 2021 - Windows leaves nic in state that caused dhcpd to fail
#if warm restart after windows load. This resets ethernet devices.
for a in $(lspci | grep -i "ethernet" | cut -f1 -d\ ) ; do
 echo 1 > $(find /sys | grep "$a" |grep "reset$") ;
done
# End of reset code

> I agree with the other post, you could boot it as a windows VM.

Don't use windows much at all. So probable not worth doing for me. Windows was pre-install so have no windows media, and would have to find method to get the key code.
Do have a HP Laptop - 14-dk1074nr that had Windows 10, but it did upgrade to 11 with no problem. It has a Ryzen 3 cpu. So, can use it. Might just move Dell to Fedora only. It also had windows pre installed with no media provided...
Thanks again to all that gave info..

> --
> Jonathan Billings
 Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor (Retired)
 mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxx
 mailto:msetzerii@xxxxxxxxx
 Guam - Where America's Day Begins
 G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer