Re: Installed Fedora 37 on older Dell with Windows 10, but doen't show windows as boot option??

On 8 Jan 2023 at 22:09, Go Canes wrote:

From:           	Go Canes <letsgonhlcanes0@xxxxxxxxx>
Date sent:      	Sun, 8 Jan 2023 22:09:24 -0500
Subject:        	Re: Installed Fedora 37 on older Dell with
Windows 10, but doen't
	show windows as boot option??
To:             	mikes@xxxxxxxx,
	Community support for Fedora users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Sun, Jan 8, 2023 at 9:37 PM Michael D. Setzer II via users
> <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > At present, if I tried to boot legacy, it came up with not
> > bootable with the boot flag on UEFI partition (sda3), set
> > boot flag to (sda2) windows partitions, and can not boot
> > and use F12 to select legacy boot, and it will load
> > windows 10, and regular boot goes to UEFI but only has
> > Fedora..
>
> Are you saying that UEFI boots Fedora, and legacy boots Windows 10?
> If yes, you probably can't boot both vai grub (I'm sure someone with
> more expertise will chime in).
>
> > Just use it for some testing of windows stuff, but it isn't
> > supported to windows 11, since it has an I3 with 4th gen
> > cpu, and looks like 11 requies an I3 with 8th gen.
>
> If your CPU supports it, why not convert Windows 10 to a VM?  If not,
> and you have the Fedora=UEFI/Windows=legacy config, then to get
> Windows visible in GRUB you probably have to convert the Windows 10
> install to UEFI.
>
> (FWIW I converted my Windows installs to VirtualBox years ago, and
> then more recently converted them to KVM.  And after converting to KVM
> I converted them from BIOS to UEFI.)

Well have to look into it. Was expecting the installation
of Fedora to handle the adding of Fedora to the current
boot setup. Don't recall it prompting for changing boot to
UEFI from the existing Legacy that the Windows 10 on
the Dell machine had. Bought the dell machine on ebay
for about $150 with 8G ram and 1T drive just to have a
windows machine around. Other 6 machines all Fedora.
So, don't have any windows installation media. So, at
precent the default boot on machine comes up with
Fedora, and no offer of windows in UEFI manager. Have
to use the F12 key, which then default to show the
Legacy boot from drive that brings up the Windows 10
just fine. On my notebook, the grub menu has the
Window 7 as a boot option from sda2. The Dell also is
partition. Has sda3 as a FAT16 partition that was created
by install, since before disk only had sda1 and sda2.

Just thought it would handle it, or at least give a
message that install was converting system to UEFI boot,
and old OS would not be a boot option under the UEFI..

Learn something new.. So, will have to see of others
have other options..

Thanks for quick reply.

 Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
(Retired)
 mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxx
 mailto:msetzerii@xxxxxxxxx
 Guam - Where America's Day Begins