Re: Clearing DNS cache without rebooting

Tim:
>>> I keep meaning to change hosts, but finding someone else who actually
>>> says they use Apache (in my country) and doesn't have the worst website
>>> to navigate to look at features versus price, is a pain in the butt.

Barry:
>> I use digitalocean.com and run a “droplet”, 1GiB VM running fedora.

Jeffrey Walton:
> I tried to get IONOS (https://www.ionos.com) to offer Fedora years ago
> for our free/open source project. They did not add the offering.

Intriguing as they sound, I'm in Australia.  While there's a certain
amount of "I'd rather support a local business," it's more a case of if
you want Google, et al, to recognise you as Australian you need to
either have an Australian domain name, or be hosted by a service it
recognises as being in Australia.

I don't have an Australian domain name, it's just a simple dotcom.  So
I depend on being hosted locally.

To register a com.au (or various other ***.au domains), you need to
have a registered business name, or be some other officially registered
entity (e.g a charity or non-profit-organisation for .org.au or
.asn.au), or be a government agency (for .gov.au).  I don't have a
registered business name, trademark, or other similar thing, because
I don't have to, and don't want all the other entanglements.

Although I tend to agree with the stance of reserving .com.au for
actual commercial websites, .org.au for other organisations, and making
sure they're not fraudulent, *we* dont really have any good general-
purpose info.au TLD for non-commercial, non-charity, non-personal
usage.  With, perhaps the exception of the new .au TLD without a prefix
(e.g. example.au).  The rules on that are less clear, but the price-
gouging is no surprise.

Australian organisations and businesses love to think that something is
premium and must cost extra, while providing a low standard of service
that would cost less elsewhere.

But that means either changing domains, or adding a second one.
Changing loses everything you built up.  Doubling-up costs yet more
money and doubles your received spam.  So I guess I'm stuck with local
hosting services, where you get a tiny amount of space, or a ridiculous
bill.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.80.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 8 15:48:59 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.