Re: Clearing DNS cache without rebooting

> On 14 Dec 2022, at 15:49, Tim via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2022-12-13 at 16:11 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> I used to use bind, but it became impossible to configure when
>> they started enforcing DNS encryption,
>

> When did that happen?  Mine isn't running that way, though I'm running
> it on CentOS 7.
>

>> switched to dnsmasq and wondered why I ever bothered to fool with bind :-).
>

> I started using BIND when messing with hosts files became a pain on a
> small LAN, and it made sense to learn how a real server worked (not
> that I want a job in IT), and BIND configuration was quite well
> documented.
>
> Likewise, I use Apache rather than some other half-baked HTTP server.
> Though, unfortunately, my hosting provider has decided they're now
> going to use LightSpeed, which isn't Apache-compatible in the areas
> that I want (not to mention is expensive versus free), and their
> custom-buggerising has wrecked a few things which they refuse to fix.
>

> I keep meaning to change hosts, but finding someone else who actually
> says they use Apache (in my country) and doesn't have the worst website
> to navigate to look at features versus price, is a pain in the butt.
> Not to mention that there's quite a few who think we should be paying
> hundreds a month for them.  Yeah, right, dream on.  I don't even want
> any of that added-on gumph (wordpress, etc), it's useless to me and
> just another hacking point of entry.

I use digitalocean.com and run a “droplet”, 1GiB VM running fedora.
Once you have fedora you can do what ever you want, i run apache httpd.
I use ssl certs from lets encrypt for the domains i own. Cost in $5 or $6 a month.
They support setting up a vm running fedora with ssh to root.
After that is plain sailing to set up.

Barry