Re: spam through Hyperkitty

On Tue, 2022-11-29 at 22:32 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> While we're on the topic: all the GNOME mailing lists are moving to
> Discourse (similar to HyperKitty but much *much* worse). The ostensible
> reasons for this included "better control of spam" and "Mailman depends
> on Python 2", the latter being clearly nonsense as the Fedora lists run
> on Mailman3 - which is why we have this HyperKitty crock in the first
> place. (Note that GNOME hosting is provided by Red Hat, so go figure.)

My experience with using Discourse is as a phone app.  It's reminiscent
of IRC (live chat via text, group voice chat, file sending).  As I
recall, it has origins in the gaming fraternity, one of those group
VOIP things used alongside their networked games.

Live stuff suits some people.  I can see its value in allowing
diagnosing an issue in real time.  But that's dependent on responders
being there at the same time.  And there can be too much noise going
on.  I dabbled with IRC decades ago, but left it and never returned.
Spending all night chatting with strangers about whatever was just
eating up my spare time.

Email is good for people spread across multiple timezones, who can wait
for more than one response.  Who'd like to post the "argh, I need help"
post as they give up on an issue and would like to tackle it tomorrow.
It's good for people who have some spare time to read through the days
posts, and respond where they can.  It's far less demanding on you.  I
can keep easily tabs on all the things going on in here (and easily
find old posts on something), I can't do that with discourse, or web
forums, that require clicking all over the place.  Not to mention that
I have lots of other non-Fedora things I'm interested in.

It can have an searchable archive, but any time I've googled for the
solution to an issue, it's never returned a Fedora mail archive result
for me.  I usually get Ubuntu forum results, often useless
(inapplicable, or answers from the floundering clueless).  Sometimes
Reddit (of about a similar quality to the Ubuntu forums).

Does this archive exclude google?  Even if it didn't, no matter what
medium you use, you can still get multiple people asking the same
question, because they (we) don't search first.  Mind you, though, I
keep tabs on all the threads in here while I'm idle, so I've a fair
idea if someone else has brought up a subject I've got an interest in.
But it tends to be new issues that I see, I haven't noticed the
multiple people asking the same question issue that used to plague some
other mailing lists I was on many years ago.

--

NB:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
I will only get to see the messages that are posted to the list.

The following system info data is generated fresh for each post:

uname -rsvp
Linux 5.19.15-201.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Oct 13
18:58:38 UTC 2022 x86_64