Re: This is...disturbing...

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 5:46 AM Michal Schorm <mschorm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The "Speculations" section sound's to me like the wet dream of every
InfoSec in every company.
I believe many would pay the weight of Bill Gates in gold for that ...
should it work flawlessly.

Outside of networks requiring very strict content access control, it
is - I believe - sentenced to the fate of any standardization effort:
https://xkcd.com/927/
I mean, there is billion of Android and Apple devices from thousands
of manufacturers used by people who wants to access documents on which
they worked on their Windows PCs.

Most of those documents are of little interest to bad actors and could be
made public without significant consequences.  Those working on
Windows PCs are expected to exercise good judgement, but there are
cases where people accessing documents on personal devices have
been called out by others motivated by personal antagonism, racism,
sexism, etc.

So I don't see any dystopian future regarding that coming (just) yet.

Or did I miss something?

Corporations and governments generally have policies for who has access
to which documents.  In practice, documents do leak to people who were
not in the intended group of readers and leakers can be punished.

Most organizations rely on individuals for proper handling of sensitive
documents, but there are always those who have been taken in by
sellers who promise technological controls that will prevent leaks and
identify "leakers".  Those same factions often engage in misclassification
(making everything "top secret" and adding barriers to make it hard to
change the initial classification), reducing more conventional security
efforts such as training and intrusion detection, and selective enforcement.

We are in for another round of over-promising and abuse of technological
controls.  Unfortunately, the current political climate has enabled many
who will see a new tool to push their own agendas.

--
George N. White III