Re: /boot/efi

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022, at 11:20 AM, stan via users wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 10:54:51 +0200
> Patrick Dupre <pdupre@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> If I have several distributions on a single machine with several
>> disks, should I have a single /boot/efi ?
>
> It will work as long as none of the installed distributions are
> duplicated, because that will duplicate the label.  e.g. default fedora
> label is fedora, so if more than one is installed there will be
> problems, because efi expects to find fedora at /boot/efi/EFI/fedora.

This should still be valid:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Sumantrom/Draft/dualboot_f33_btrfs

The gist is you can share a single ESP for two Fedoras. Since this location has static configuration it doesn't really matter that the two Fedora's will occasionally step on the bootloaders there, but yeah you could choose to configure the older version to not update shim and grub, thereby only ever using a single newer base shim and grub from the newer Fedora.

I imagine a conflict can arise if these are two Fedora variants of the *same* release. i.e. Workstation and KDE. It's possible an update on one results in removal of kernels referred to by the other. It really depends on how stale one of the variants is allowed to get, e.g. if they're months apart it might not be possible to boot the older variant, since its boot menu entries only refer to old kernels long since removed from /boot. There is a vmlinuz copy in /usr along with that versions modules, so you could get out of this situation with some effort, but you pretty much would want them on approximately the same update cadence to avoid the problem.

Another way you end up with multiple Fedoras with shared ESP and /boot  is snapshotting, and significantly branching the snapshots, e.g. install Fedora 34, snapshot it and upgrade the snapshot to 35, snapshot that and upgrade the snapshot to 36, snapshot again and upgrade to Rawhide. Four Fedoras. There's more to it than this, you probably want some naming scheme for the snapshots like root35, root36, root37; you might want to adjust fstab in each, and you'll definitely need to edit the rootflags argument to boot a root for which a boot loader snippet doesn't yet exist (it will if you do a system upgrade because that will install a new kernel for that version, with a bls snippet containing a rootflags entry pointing to the currently active subvolume used as root. Anyway, it's slightly tricky but not endlessly.

--
Chris Murphy