Re: How do I ask dnf for the current revision of Wine, when ...

On Fri, 2022-07-01 at 17:50 -0700, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
> I am afraid to take the exclusion out as if Wine
> gets accidentally upgrade to 7.0 and I have
> no downgrade, it will take my business down.

Temporarily take it out.
Don't let anything do updates by themselves in the background.
Don't actually do any installs during your test.
Never use "assume yes" kind of options.
Always do your updates so you have to press Y (for yes) to proceed.

I never do yum/dnf updates without making it confirm before proceeding.
Like you, I don't want any nasty surprises where some remote stuffup
decides to remove something important, or add gigabytes of unwanted
gumph.  I don't use the GUI tools, I use the command line.  I don't
believe I've ever accidentally installed or removed something in around
20 years of using Red Hat & Fedora.

You can certainly do search/list/info dnf commands without any danger
of installing anything.  And you can start an install, and not let it
proceed into actually doing anything, just view the list of what it
intends to do.

For a non-committal run-through, there were "download only" options
where it'll download without installing anything.  I can't remember if
there's a "practice only" kind of option.  But I've done plenty of "dnf
install httpd" kind of commands to see what it'd want to do, then
pressed n (for no) to abort.

Regarding the worry about stuffing your business up, I've always ran
more than one computer.  My main one is treated with extra care for
exactly that kind of reason.  I have a separate workstation that I'll
do experiments with.  It has no vital files stored on it, everything is
stored remotely on the main one (*everything*, all data, all mail,
etc).  I don't know how anyone manages with just one computer.  How do
you research something when it stuffs up?  I use the spare one all the
time as a general workstation (email, browsing, whatever), but I make
sure that all essential work is not stored on it.

For a business it's essential to protect the thing you rely on.  I knew
one business back in the 90s where their computer system went belly up,
and the only reason they didn't go under is they used manual invoicing.
All their reps still used carbon-paper invoice books, they just entered
the data into the computer when back at base for good housekeeping.
Because of the paper trail, they knew what their customers need to pay,
what they needed to pay, goods in and out, etc.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.66.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 18 16:02:34 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.