Re: can't reach internet.

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 12:21 AM Tim via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2022-06-11 at 19:50 -0600, home user wrote:
> Multiple times over 4-5 hours I
> - powered down and powered up the modem;
> - reset the modem;
> - disconnected and reconnected the yellow ethernet cable; and
> - rebooted the work station, trying both OSs.
> So I switched back and forth multiple times.  There also were other
> URLs
> that worked in windows-7 but not Fedora-35, but I think 3 URLs were
> enough of a sample for this thread.

Sounds like your ISP had problems.  Do they have a status page?  If so,
have a look, see if it lists past outages, bookmark it for next time
(also find its IP, now, so you can check if DNS doesn't work in the
future).

Randomly rebooting without gathering data is time consuming and not very
informative.

Many ISP's provide a support site that offers a speed test and in some
cases even include information about current status of their service.  A speed
test can tell you if the problems you see are local or in your ISP's access to
the wider internet.  There are also sites like downdector that collect problem
reports and provide graphs of the numbers of reports over time.  Those peaks
often coincide with times when I encountered problems, so can help to confirm
that a problem wasn't something on my end.

During periods of high demand (Superbowl, public hearings by US Congress)
the internet may fall back to less optimal routing.  Your zoom issues could be
due to "rate limiting" by your ISP, generally imposed during periods where
customer aggregate demand exceeds capacity.

You appear to be using a wired connection, but if you have wifi you should
check that only "known to you" devices are connecting.  Your router should
list connected devices by their MAC address, so you may want to collect the
MAC addresses of "known to you" devices and turn off MAC address randomizaton
for portable devices when connected to your home wifi.

--
George N. White III