Re: fractional scaling in Fedora 36

Tim:
>> In my opinion scaling is a bad hack to avoid properly sizing a GUI
>> to the current screen resolution and dimensions, and produced
>> no end of rendering side effects when I messed with it in the past.

Anil Felipe Duggirala:
> I don't know what you mean by "end of rendering".

"no end of rendering side effects" meaning endless problems.

Some things would scale, others would not (bits of the GUI, browsers
have their own independent rendering engines, word processors, too).

If I'm preparing a document, and want to see it in 1:1 screen rendering
so I can see how it'll print.  (There are display options in word
processors for 1:1, full width, full height, and other magnifications.)
I want an A4 page to display at real A4 size on the screen (if I hold a
piece of paper next to it, it ought to be nearly identical).  If I want
to draw a 4 cm by 8 cm rectangle, I want it to appear in those sizes.
If I use 12 point text, it actually has to be 12 point text, not
something unpredictable.  Likewise, if I want to use 20 pixel text to
match alongside a 200 by 300 pixel image, I want them both to be using
the same pixel size.  Centimeters, pixels and points are absolute
sizes, *other* sizing schemes are to be used when you want to use
relative sizing.

Likewise when I'm printing something.  I've I've measured something I'm
going to print for, and want to produce a 12 by 10 cm box, with so-many
lines of 14 point text, I want to edit and print it with those real
dimensions.  Not play random magnification print, adjust, and retry,
games.

I've always found that scaling fouled all of that up.  It seems no
programmer gets that.  They probably think 4 inches is huge.

In my opinion, when you set screen font sizes (e.g. the body text, the
window titles, etc), you should be able to set the size you actually
want.  And the GUIs should appropriately resize to fit.  It should work
that simply.  The clicky icons ought to be a similar size to your
screen font, etc.  Having a separate expansion factor to aid people who
want large or small icons is a good thing, too.  But base the GUI
relative to the size of the text you're reading.

They've simply gone about it the *wrong* way, in how they've changed
the old style of GUI to suit newer tiny, big, and high-resolution screens.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.62.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Apr 5 16:57:59 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.