Re: ssh impacted by systemd.resolved

Justin Moore writes:

And, not to be too flip, I think that's part of the problem.

Only the slow march of time will fix this problem.

The core features of systemd – the dependency-based replacement for init that uses containers – the initial feature set that was was used as its advocacy: it's a fair amount of code to implement, but it's not insurmountable.

I think that if there's a functional replacement for that, there's a very good chance that Debian will adopt it and use it by default. Once that's done, all the Debian-based distributions then inherit it. Fedora and RHEL will continue to be based on systemd, and all the Debian-based distros will migrate to its replacement.

There will be some temporary pain without a local port 53 proxy; but it should be possible to take a peek at how nscd monitors the changes to /etc/resolv.conf (based on what its man page says) and mimic this in a lightweight port 53 proxy. It should be possible to do that without actually having to interpret DNS queries and response packets, and just forward them to the current DNS server, back and forth. Thinking about this, I don't think it's necessary to actually grok DNS packets to do systemd-resolved- type proxying. But if it is, I do have my own DNS packet parsing code, that has been quietly grinding away for …a very long time, which I can toss over the wall pretty easily.

History is full of similar examples, of an established component getting replaced by a lighter replacement: chrony supplanting ntp; cronie supplanting vixie-cron. This certainly can happen again.