Re: audio-related bug(?) on Fedora 35

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 09:49:38 -0600
Ranjan Maitra <mlmaitra@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have noticed a possible bug over the past ten days that pretty soon
> makes it impossible to do anything related to sound and then
> necessitates a reboot (complete with hard power button press). Here

[snip]

> I wonder what the problem is. Note that I did shut down
> chromium-browser and firefox before reboot. I rebooted into the 5.16
> kernel ten days ago. I am on a Dell XPS13 and do nightly updates. I
> also hibernate every night and usually do not reboot for weeks: I can
> not recall why I decided to reboot 10 days ago, but it must have been
> some oddity. My guess is that I was hibernating and waking for at
> least 20 days before that.

I don't think hibernating has anything to do with the problem.

> Any suggestions? Let me know what additional information I can
> provide. If it is indeed a bug, what should I file under?

I *think* it might be that one of the browsers is not closing a sound
callback or poll that it has set up.  Pipewire or wireplumber try to
close it during shutdown, but it is orphaned, so no longer active.  A
zombie!  Someone had that problem with a discord connection recently on
the mailing list. Open the ticket against wireplumber, putting all the
information you have in this email.  Again, I *think*, if my
speculation is correct, that wireplumber should, under certain
circumstances, ignore such links during shutdown.

The browser *should* close such links when the tab is closed or on
shutdown, so it is the party really at fault, but having wireplumber
ignore such links during shutdown is a quick and dirty workaround.
You could experiment to see which browser is causing the issue and open
a bugzilla against that one if you can figure it out.  But, that seems
to be completely antithetical to your work process.

This is all guesses and speculation, so could be completely wrong.