Re: NFS client names not mapping

On Mon, 2022-01-31 at 21:52 +1030, Tim via users wrote:
> ".arpa" is owned, and they're able to set rules about its usage (so
> home.arpa was possible).  Trying to set up a new top level domain,
> such as .home, would require getting a plethora of organisations to
> agree to something new, and require getting another plethora of
> organisations to stop using it.

Trying to / hoping to, finally finish my train of thought...

One of the many problems with using domain names within a LAN is how
name resolution is handled.

If your client doesn't already know the IP for a hostname, it has to
look it up.  If you have your own DNS server, or equivalent (*), and
it's configured properly, then everything works nicely.

(* You can use hosts files for static addresses.  Avahi, et al, use
their own systems - it's not DNS, but similar in function.)

If it doesn't already know the IP, then your computer can end up trying
to query public servers outside your LAN for the answers.  That causes
at least two problems:  The obvious one to most users is the lack of
privacy.  The obvious one to admin types is that someone else's servers
can get hammered with millions of queries (globally speaking) that they
shouldn't do.  Not to mention that the query can't be properly
answered, so you get a badly behaving network.

Some of the suggested domain-names to use in LANs are also part of this
solution.  Since .local is supposed to only be used in LANs, every
public DNS server can be preconfigured to automatically blacklist such
queries.  Sure, they still get hammered with badly configured systems,
but the damage gets stopped at a border, rather than propagate through
entire trees of DNS servers.  The same can be said about several other
commonly used LAN domain names (the public DNS servers *can* be
preconfigured to halt LAN queries at the border, and probably *will*
have to be for the foreseeable future, mitigating problems being caused
on the internet, and forcing users to properly set up their LANs).

And, your own internal networking can make decisions about how to
resolve such addresses.  It should know that .local addresses will be
internally handled, and not attempt to bother DNS servers in the
outside world.

The same cannot be said about other random, unknown, or ill-advised,
fake domain names that people may use within their LANs.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 5.11.22-100.fc32.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 19 18:58:25 UTC 2021 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.