Re: NFS client names not mapping

On Mon, 2022-01-31 at 20:41 +1030, Tim via users wrote:
> Linux had an interesting quirk of using ".localdomain" as its LAN
> domain (at least on the few distros I've played with).  Microsoft may
> have used .mshome or .home (as my router uses, actually it also uses
> .router, not that it tells you about any of this).  And plenty of
> people have used .lan as their domain.  But there's no well-defined
> LAN domain name to use in lieu of registering a real domain name.

Ooh, just found an actually sensible suggestion.  Apparently home.arpa
has been reserved for this kind of special use.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8375

"Reserved" in as much as it shouldn't end up being used on the
internet, it shouldn't clash with existing oddball uses of some domain
names in home networks (.home, .homenet, .host, .local, .corp, .mail,
and various others, where your attempt to manually uses it clashes with
some automatic system).

".arpa" is owned, and they're able to set rules about its usage (so
home.arpa was possible).  Trying to set up a new top level domain, such
as .home, would require getting a plethora of organisations to agree to
something new, and require getting another plethora of organisations to
stop using it.

But it won't give you a unique name.  That's usually not a problem, and
gives you a kind of "I'm Spartacus" anonymity when one of your
hostnames gets written about in public.  It might be an issue if you
take your computer to a LAN party, but I wonder how often that happens
any more (with wider spreading of broadband, so people can play games
from home, and the last couple of years of the plague).

There's some advice in
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6762#appendix-G
about some domain names that have been used (in the past) without
causing their users problems:

      .intranet.
      .internal.
      .private.
      .corp.
      .home.
      .lan.

But I have at least one modem/router that uses .home, and you have no
control over it, and its not documented (I only found out by debugging
a failing network).  There's potential for headaches for anything
that's not specifically designed for how you might use it.

So, the other advice I mentioned still stands; if you want to use
domain names within a network, registering a real one is the best
approach.  It also helps if you ever want to horse around with security
certificates (yes, some people do use SSL, etc., within a LAN).

The trouble with using someone else's domainname, such as .local, or
even that .home.arpa one, is that the rules and recommendations can
change on you.  Years ago, Microsoft recommended people use .local, now
you're advised not to use it, because it's used for a specific
networking scheme.

I have a domain name, I use it publically.  And, I use a .lan.
subdomain of it within my lan.  Like this set of examples:

www.example.com  (a public website)
server.lan.example.com (an internal server PC)
mail.lan.example.com (an internal mail server)
printer.lan.example.com (an internal printer)

There's a Blake's 7 joke in there.  ;-)

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.53.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jan 14 13:59:45 UTC 2022 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.