Re: Machine won't finish booting after update

On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 22:58:28 -0500
Fulko Hew <fulko.hew@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On a lark, today I saw that Discover was telling me there were
> updates. I asked it to show me what.
> After a number of minutes it told me... 7 packages.
> OK, I did a 'dnf update' instead.
> After 30 seconds it had fetched and installed all 7 packages.
> Then I tried 'discover' again.
> After another few minutes of fetching, it told me it (still) had to
> update those 7 packages.
> I asked it to refresh, and then asked again.
> Another few minutes later, it still thought it needed to install
> those 7 packages.
> What!
> So I killed off 'discover' on the task bar.
> Here is is, 2 hours later, and I see the icon has re-appeared on the
> task bar.
> It tells me it has 22 packages to update.
> But dnf tells me it is up to date.
>
> Does dnf use a different set of repo servers than 'discover' does ?

They use the same set of repo servers.

> Does discover query a different local RPM db?

I think all the package installers use the same rpm db.  I haven't used
discover, but when I had Packagekit active it seemed to keep its own
internal records for reference.  I think the problem is that unless the
updates are actually run from discover or Packagekit, its internal
database is not updated with changes.  It doesn't do a cleanup of
its internal db from the rpm db at each invocation (probably so it can
be faster). So, if dnf is used to update packages, it will never remove
the updates that dnf did from its internal database. It doesn't actually
consider whether there is another installer running, it presumes that
it is the sole package installer on the system.  For its target users,
that is probably a reasonable assumption, as they will always use it.

> It seems so.

Yes.