Re: partially invisible back-up DVD.

On 28 Oct 2021, at 05:36, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 28/10/2021 12:14, Tim via users wrote:
On Thu, 2021-10-28 at 06:54 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
Still a USB thumb drive is much better
and more reliable than optical storage.
I'm more confident the other way around.

Maybe I'm one of the few lucky ones?  I have 2 thumb drives of 128GB from SanDisk I've used for 2~3 years
with no issues.  An 8GB one from Transcend that I've had for about 5 years.  And a non-name one that I don't recall
how old it is but has no issues.

The key information you need for flash memory devices is the ENDURANCE which is the amount of
data that can be written to the device before it fails. It is typically quoted in TBW - Terabytes Written.

There is a standard for measuring the figure for various work loads.

I think it is JESD218 which there is an overview  of at

but the specs are behind a paywall now. (Used to be free to download).

The standard is interesting, but not required reading you will pleased to know.

There are two workloads that are often quoted in spec sheets.
The client workload - meaning a typical office worker workload.
The server workload - meaning a server workload.

There is also a random workload, but its is rare to see that quoted as the life times are very short.

Personal I will not buy an SSD or memory stick that does not publish its JESD218 client workload figures.

As examples I've quickly found specs for samsung and SanDisk.

find endurance on the page. It tells you that the drive 1200TBW.

and you can compare these figures, the best is 600TBW.

FYI the last SSD I got was a Intel part and its had 1000TBW+ Endurance.

I've replaced the optical drive in my Tower 3 times since 2008 and have media written on previous drives be
unreadable on the replacement drive.  The optical drive in my Asus laptop died a few years ago and I decided
not to replace it.

I also have multiple SSD from Crucial that have power on hours of at least 4 years with 0 NAND blocks
being reallocated.

power-on-hours and reallocations are interesing, but its the endurance you need to predict life time.
Assuming you can calculate a figure the amount of data that you write your device.

But, when it comes to backups, I have much more confidence in my RAID enabled NAS and rsync.  :-)

I back to a file server from all my hosts, then copy off the backups and put that copy off site.

All use Fedora of course.

Barry

--
On Facebook it is called Vaguebooking.