Re: LUKS on shutdown.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 2:18 PM murph nj <murphnj+fedora@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm having an issue shutting down.  Fedora 34, just updated to 35, same problem.  (It was around in 33 as well, I've been putting up with it.)  I know that there is another list for beta versions, but this issue was there in the current version as well.
>
> Somewhere around 1 out of every 10 shutdowns,  the system goes down to
> "[ OK ] Reached target System Shutdown", but then,
> "[ *** ] a stop job is running for Cryptography setup for luks-<cycle through LUKS volumes>"
>
> It typically goes for about 1/2 hour if I don't get fed up, and hold the power button down.
>
> I just saw after that 1/2 hour:
> [Time] Timed out starting System Reboot
> Forcibly Rebooting: job timed out.
> audit: type=1334.........
>
> I still had to power it off.  On reboot, it seems OK.
>

> I haven't found anything interesting in /var/log/messages regarding it.
>
> Any suggestions to further troubleshooting?

Seems likely to me some service is not quitting properly, preventing /
from being unmounted, which prevents cryptsetup from closing the
dm-crypt device. And as tedious as it is, the trick is to find out
what that service is. You might also get a clue by comparing the
shutdown sequences between successful and unsuccessful variants. The
successful log will list all kinds of services being quit, whereas the
unsuccessful one will be missing two or more services. Maybe from that
you can infer what the problem is.

Another idea:  boot using systemd.log_level=debug to get more
information in the journal (a *lot* more information). And also
consider adding systemd.debug-shell=1 as well, but note that this is a
security risk because it will persistently put a root level shell on
tty9, which is what you'll switch to with control-alt-F9 when you get
the shutdown hang. And then do:

systemctl list-jobs
df
lsof <any mount point backed by the hung cryptsetup job>

--
Chris Murphy