Re: OT: How to load kernels in EFI setup.

On 6 Sep 2021 at 1:02, Samuel Sieb wrote:

Subject:        	Re: OT: How to load kernels in EFI setup.
To:             	Community support for Fedora users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From:           	Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx>
Date sent:      	Mon, 6 Sep 2021 01:02:18 -0700
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora
users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On 9/4/21 4:21 AM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > Thanks for the quick response.
> > Yes, the kernel EFI options are built into the kernels build
> > from the kernel.org source code, but don't have
> > signatures, since that seems to be a very expensive and
> > long process, as I've seen on the memtest page about
> > there looking into it.
>
> As an individual, you aren't going to go through the official process.
> If it's your own machine, you can create your own key and register it
> with the BIOS.  But that doesn't scale for many users.

Basically, I want to be able to let people run the g4l
program with as little extra work as possible.
Originally, it was run only from a bootable regular CD
with the syslinux boot process. Have been watching there
pages, but it still seems the EFI boot is a working issue.
Has been fixed at 6.03 for a long long time.
Then added the ability of booting from a Flash by either
using they syslinux hybrid option on the iso, and then just
copying it to a flash.
A second option was to use grub4dos to make a bootable
flash as well.
Then adding it directly to the grub menu using the
40_custom, and just putting the kernel and ramdisk file in
/boot.

Did use isomaster to look at the Fedora 34 iso image, and
see that it does have a similar grub.cfg file under the efi
directory, on my machines, they have the efi directory
under boot, but guess it is just support files with no
grub.cfg listed. So, might be the 40_custom option would
work with the files in /image?

For most users, it has been an option to just enable the
legacy boot for running the g4l, and then turning it back
off if necessary, but now seems some machines no longer
have legacy at all, or it might be a multi-step process they
haven't discovered to enable it?

In past, it was something as easy as putting in a flash,
and using F12 (or other key) to boot from it.

Perhaps I'll have to setup a machine with EFI to do some
more testing.. Thanks again for all your replies and time.

Use to have an option on my grub menu in classrooms
that would restore the windows 10 partition in about 10
minues from an image on an extra partition, so that any
one could reset image to know set. Worked great, and
used the udpcast option to image 19 other machines in
about 45 minutes after creating a new multi-boot setup.