Re: OT: How to load kernels in EFI setup.

On 3 Sep 2021 at 22:51, Samuel Sieb wrote:

Subject:        	Re: OT: How to load kernels in EFI setup.
To:             	users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From:           	Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx>
Date sent:      	Fri, 3 Sep 2021 22:51:57 -0700
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora
users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On 9/3/21 10:37 PM, Michael D. Setzer II via users wrote:
> > Have a project that I've maintained since 2004.
> > Have a simple process to add it to the regular grub boot
> > list using the 40_custom with the following lines.
> >
> > menuentry G4L {
> > 	linux /bz5x13.14 root=/dev/ram0
> > 	initrd /ramdisk.lzma
> > }
> >
> > Just copy the kernel and ramdisk.lzma to /boot and it
> > becomes an option in the grub menu.
> >
> > Just had a use that got 140 new Dell machines, and they
> > seem to no longer support any bios boot?? So, EFI is the
> > only option.
> >
> > Have the EFI kernel options set, but haven't found info on
> > how to make an efi boot. I've looked, but I've not seen
> > anything. Did find one page that talks about just copying
> > kernel files to the efi direct with a minor rename and
> > including System.map file, but doesn't say anything about
> > the filesystem?
> >
> > Anyone know of a web page. Currently, the user is pulling
> > drive out, and connecting it to an older machine to make
> > images.
>
> I'm going to assume that you're saying you work on Ghost for Linux which
> can BIOS boot and you want to have it work with EFI, but don't know how
> to set it up.
>
> What do you mean that you have "the EFI kernel options set"?  Are you
> referring to the kernel compile options?  If you have that, then it
> should be ready.  You don't need any specific filename and I don't think
> you need the System.map file.  If you are booting in EFI mode, grub will
> automatically do an efi boot of the kernel.  However, unless you're
> signing the kernel and have added the keys, you will need to disable
> secure boot.
>
> Do an EFI install of Fedora to see how it's all laid out.

Thanks for the quick response.
Yes, the kernel EFI options are built into the kernels build
from the kernel.org source code, but don't have
signatures, since that seems to be a very expensive and
long process, as I've seen on the memtest page about
there looking into it.

I've currently got 5 running machines at home, all with
Fedora 33, but none are setup with EFI boot. All where
setup before, and have just had Fedora updated to next
versions as releases came out, so setup wasn't changed.
There is the efi directories, but they don't seem to have
any kernel files installed.

I'm not even clear what OS the user has on machines.
Many use the G4L to make images of windows machines.
If I was still teaching, would have access to machines to
test with, but retired, so just have my working machines.

Process was so easy with the 40_custom setup, or booting
to CD or USB, but now with systems not offering legacy
options seems to be a major issue.

Thanks again.