Re: OT: ink jet printers

On Tue, 2021-07-06 at 17:36 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I've pretty much given up on linux and scanning. My current all-in-
> one Epson Artisan 725 claimed to have a linux driver, but it never
> worked. I do all my scanning on a windows (the Epson is a network
> device) virtual machine, and save the scanned images to a samba
> share hosted on the fedora system where I actually want the scans.

I have an Canon Pixma all-in-one, that I really only bought as it could
print onto DVDs (I work in video production, and be able to give a
client a nicely labelled disc is a good thing).  As an inkjet printer
it's so-so, so I use a HP laser for real printing on paper, and both
are directly supported by CUPs.  The scanner is okay, but I had to
install scangear to use the scanner, from Canon's own website.  It's
childishly basic software, and okay for my general needs (e.g. scan a
document and email someone a copy), but would be useless for someone
who wanted good graphical scanning of photos (there's NO image
controls, at all).

For what it's worth, even on a Mac, which the Pixma fully supports, the
scanning software is woeful.  I don't use Windows, so I can't compare.

I still have an ancient Mustek standalone scanner, that was fully
supported by SANE, and you could do all the manual tweaking you wanted
even though the cheap scanner wasn't all that brilliant.  It was some
generic scanner that was sold under a variety of different brandnames.

Unless you really want an all-in-one, then separates are usually the
better way to go.  Better supported, and when just one part of the
hardware dies, you only need to replace that one.  Even some all-in-one
devices couldn't directly print what they scanned, the computer had to
do it for them.  Though that's less prevalent, these days.

And in my case, the unavoidable greater-than two-minutes print cleaning
routine when I merely want to scan a page to file, is damn annoying.  I
dare say that when the ink runs dry (without even being used), it'll
probably refuse to scan documents.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.31.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Jun 10 13:32:12 UTC 2021 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.