Re: packagekitd Hogging CPU

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 14:00, Joe Zeff <joe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/22/21 10:29 AM, George N. White III wrote:
> The Gnome software manager has the added advantages
> that it a) forces a reboot and b) offers flatpak versions of major
> applications.

The forced reboot is only an advantage if some of the upgrades require a
reboot to get them started.  Most upgrades only need to have their
package restarted, and that only if it was running when the upgrade
occurs.  This is what needs-restarting is for, but if you don't know how
to use dnf (and don't want to) it's not going to do you any good.  And,
for that matter, what do people like that do if they're not set up with
Gnome?  My personal opinion is that people like that should be using
Ubuntu, as that distro is specifically designed for Windows refugees.
(I've set two people up with Linux because they wanted to get away from
Windows, and both of them are happily running Xubuntu.)

The forums for some of the mission critical applications have seen cases
where users were told to install an updated distro package.  User then
reports that the update had no effect (because the old library is still
being used) and proceeds to run wild reinstalling the OS from scratch,
etc.   Forums get blamed for recommending updates that trashed the
users system.

Among my colleagues, Ubuntu and derivative distros are very widely used,
especially outside N. America.  Many of the sites that use Fedora do
so because the heavy lifting is done on RHEL or derivative rpm-based
distros and HPC hardware.

Sorry for ranting, but forced reboots are a pet peeve of mine and you
just petted it.

As long as the Gnome software manager doesn't get in the way of doing
updates with DNF, you should be able to leave it to the users who insist
on doing everything with GUI's.

When dealing with armies of "untrained" users, we need simple default
updating workflows, even at a cost of users' time.  Requiring a reboot
simplifies troubleshooting and minimizes opportunities for misguided and
unrecoverable user problem solving.

--
George N. White III