Re: Newbie Info - Linux and Intel

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 12:45 PM David <dlocklear01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If one goes to the Intel website and does a search on "Linux," they will find several articles, that may be of interest to someone interested in Linux drivers for Intel components.
>
> For example.
>
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/ethernet-products.html
>

> While their pages do not mention Fedora, there are some that mention RHEL, which should apply.   Feel free to elaborate, if you have insight into all that.
>
> Any drivers that claim they are compatible with Ubuntu are likely compiled for Debian Package Manager.    So they will not work in Fedora.    I do not know if there are generic drivers that work in both .rpm and .deb.   Can someone please elaborate on all that ?
>
> Is Intel support for Linux excellent ?   or amazing ?
>
> I would say that their support for Fedora is lame, compared to their support of Clear Linux.   And, that their support of Red Hat or Fedora is not as good as their support for Ubuntu.
>
> Intel's community forum does allow specific questions about Fedora.   For example:
>
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html
>
> If that link does not work, try a general search there, such as "Fedora 32."   There are hundreds of post there from Fedora users asking for troubleshooting help, going back several years.

There are 2 reasons why a hardware vendor doesn't/won't support Fedora
(and this is not just speaking of Intel, all of the hardware suppliers
of hardware used on linux).

#1: The abi for the fedora kernel changes often...each 5.X to 5.X+1
can change it, and will require driver code changes to work every few
months.
      Note most of the supported version of linux are some variant 7+
year supported ABI with no changes (RedHat, LTS versions, SLES), so
drivers need to be backported into that ancient ABI, but the ABI does
not change often.

#2: it is likely most of the intel drivers are being put into the
kernel.org kernel upstream that Fedora is being built from, so often
an update of the kernel will fix it.

Generally if you have to download a out-of-tree drive for anything
(the RedHat/LTS/Sles variants too) then you are going to have rough
time of it as either the code is barely tested and behaves oddly
and/or completely breaks on updates.  Where I work we will only use a
out-of-tree driver as a last resort and the few times we have
attempted to use the out-of-tree driver delivered by the vendor rarely
has it actually solved the problem and/or worked hence its attempt by
us as a last resort.

On Fedora at home the times I have tried to use an out-of-tree driver
it has been a time consuming experience as every few linux versions
you have to the get an updated version of the code from someplace
(this was a newer wireless driver that was never put into kernel.org
by the owner).

Hence most of the corporate customers that have any pull are pushing
the hardware vendors to make sure their driver is a part of kernel.org
and the OS distributions vendors updates, because otherwise it is a
nightmare to manage.  The hardware vendors have stated this on calls
with them I have been involved in.

If you are running a current version of the kernel for the
distribution you have and your card is not supported with it then even
if there is a "supported" out-of-tree driver, it is almost certainly
going to be a rough experience.   The out-of-tree drivers often have
limited numbers of users and limited testing so the chances of a bugs
are high, and that is assuming you can get it compiled and get it to
load and find your device.    The regression testing of out-of-tree
driver updates is also very limited.  So often you will get an
update/code fix that adds some feature you don't care about but breaks
a critical basic feature making the driver useless.

The only major disaster on the hardware support is the wireless
drivers.   What is supported or not is hit and miss even with major
wireless vendors.   For the most part the major ethernet cards just
work, though you might have to wait a few weeks for it to get into
kernel.org and that kernel to get to fedora.   At the end of the day,
if the vendors does not have enough staffing to get their driver into
kernel.org/redhat/LTS/Sles they certainly cannot support their
hardware at all for anyone.