Re: Lenovo is a JOKE (IBM too)

To me. Any company shipping Linux on their hardware is far from being a joke.

EGO II

On Sun, Apr 4, 2021, 4:05 AM Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 at 10:01, lejeczek via users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> if you too jumped on that bandwagon of (fake) Lenovo euphoria towards support, in
> generic terms, for Linux by the company - which is BAD across the board.

That's not what I've experienced: I've been working with Lenovo for
about 2 years now, with ThinkStation, ThinkCenter and ThinkPad teams
(including sub-teams of ME, BIOS, etc), and about a dozen ODMs and
IHVs with my firmware work on the LVFS and fwupd. Although Lenovo had
some catching up to do, they now ship about as much firmware on the
LVFS (in terms of absolute downloads, and also in terms of models
supported) as Dell. In the last 18 months I've seen a Lenovo Linux
team grow from almost nothing to having almost daily contact with a
Senior Linux Developer at Lenovo. They are increasing the number of
models (and type of hardware) with firmware on the LVFS and I'll have
some more announcements about all that when it's all public.

As I understand it, Lenovo only formally "supports Fedora" on models
actually sold with Fedora preinstalled (which is fair enough in my
opinion). At least unofficially I know there are a *huge* number of
other models that are being tested with Fedora and RHEL, and with
firmware updates available on the LVFS. I've been given access to
their IHVs and ODMs supplying devices and silicon to them, and the
support of Linux by Lenovo has contributed a huge amount to the
success of the LVFS.

I think calling Lenovo a "joke" considering how much progress they've
made in the last 18 months is a huge mischaracterization. I buy Lenovo
and I've been Linux-exclusive for about the last 15 years.

Richard.