Re: Search engines -

I searched for potato bake recipes without ham, and every recipe it
found had ham in it.  The words with or without are quite important for
getting a search right.  I hope they never get involved in AI for
futuristic police robots, because saying "don't shoot" is going to get
you shot.

You might be able to achieve this using the (-) operator. So your search would look something like this: "potato bake recipes -ham".

I search for service manuals for equipment, and you can put the exact
model number into the search, and only few of the results are even
close to your search term.  After the first page, I can't see any
connection between my search terms and what it returns.

You might be able to use quotation marks in this case. Even some of the other boolean operators might help you get what you want.

I also dislike google. I am sticking to duckduckgo for now. Sometimes, for specific coding queries I do get a couple of better results from google. I like the fact that duckduckgo allows me to stay in English, instead of constantly wanting to force me towards Spanish or location based websites. Duckduckgo has a nicer look to it, I think its cleaner than google.

The aforementioned search operators and functions work both in google and duckduckgo.

Good luck,