Re: F33 BTRFS - Not enough swap space for hibernation

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 11:12 AM Qiyu Yan <yanqiyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> IDK, maybe just because no one is working on this. But changing PRIO may do similar thing, page swap to zram and hibernat to disk.

The kernel knows not to write a hibernation image to a swap device
backed by zram. In fact it knows it needs contiguous space to write
the hibernation image into, ergo a fragmented swap partition can still
result in hibernation entry failure.

But yeah the bottom line is, resources.

I think a higher priority is supporting encrypted authenticated
hibernation images. And arguably it's needed for swap as well, because
there are all kinds of private user data that can be evicted to swap.
It's another advantage of swap on zram, in that since it's volatile,
we don't have to worry about it as much when it comes to leaking user
data. It's not the same as being encrypted, of course, putting the
system in S3 means this private data could still be pilfered if the
attacker has physical access. But at least it's not persistent.

It is a good idea to setup disk based swap with a random key on each
boot. This means you don't have to enter a passphrase. But it also
means it can't be used for a hibernation image.

The passwordless boot with encrypted authenticated hibernation image
also requires a TPM chip, or maybe certain yubikeys could be used.
It's a lot of work.

> Or another workaround, swapon the hibernation only file and swapoff all others before hibernation happens. This could be able to do with some tricks with systemd.

Yep. This has also been discussed. There's some concern it could
result in races when the system is under memory pressure and
hibernation is called. It might take some upstream kernel work and
also a lot of testing to prove it's reliable. And the problem there
already is, hibernation entry isn't reliable for myriad reasons.
Adding this funtionality may just make it more complicated without
improving reliability.

I think a key pre-requisite is working authenticated and signed
hibernation images. Until we can bring back hibernation support for
systems with UEFI Secure Boot, the most common configuration out of
the box, we're kinda stuck not being able to do much of anything with
hibernation.

There is work happening in the VM world with hibernation,
interestingly enough. And some of that work has a good chance of
making it more reliable, and helping once we come back full circle on
baremetal. They too are concerned about having signed and
authenticated hibernation images, even when not in a Secure Boot
context, because of the potential for secrecy/privacy leaks in the
hibernation image, and ensuring it hasn't been tampered with while in
transit.

--
Chris Murphy