Re: Can't control Dell laptop fan anymore

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 8:34 PM George N. White III <gnwiii@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 at 12:39, Fulko Hew <fulko.hew@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It's been a bad week for me.
First my disk drive died, and now I've replaced it
and installed F33 (up from F26)

Two failures in a short period means you should investigate possible links.

The only correlation is that I've been running Folding@Home
24/7 since March, and the laptop was running at high temps.
Is it possible a cable was dislodged while replacing the drive?

There is a remote chance, but the fan was far away from
the drive, and I didn't even see a cable during my brief
look at the fan.  I will re-disassemble the laptop tomorrow.

But the Dell HW diag software can and does spin up the fan during FAN tests.
So why wouldn't Fedora spin it up too (even if it WAS reading back 0 RPM).
Some laptops monitor disk drive temperatures, older models used a sensor
attached to the drive, newer models may have custom drives with built-in
sensors (current models use SSD's).   A mismatched or missing sensor
could confuse temperature management software.

No, this has nothing to do with the drive.
Fedora would have to have a major fault to be able to confuse
an Intel sensor driver operation with SATA/SMART information.
Many laptops collect dust in the cooling fins and passages.  Did you check
for dust?

That was the very first thing I did.
Have you run S.M.A.R.T. tests or vendor diagnostics on the "failed" drive
to confirm a hardware failure as opposed to corrupt filesystems?

Dell Hw diagnostics reported it as a failed drive.
I will attempt to check it independently though.
But the drive is the least of my problems at the moment.
 Multiple component issues are often caused by a bad power supply.
Laptop batteries are also suspects.

I know, but for the only thing to be bad is the FAN RPM
sensor under Fedora, but the Dell HW diagnostic sw CAN
spin the CPU fan up and down makes a bad supply/battery
a very unlikely possibility.

Again, that's where I'm looking for some independent sw
that can control the fan, and view RPM independently of
Fedora and yet similar to Dell diagnostics (because the
Dell sw IS controlling the fan!)