Re: X Org Server is abandonware

On Tue, 2020-10-27 at 10:58 -0400, Jonathan Billings wrote:

> snip.
>
> X11 is *old* and there is a lot of complexity involved, particularly
> when it comes to compositing libraries. Wayland takes the X server
> out
> of the conversation, which can improve security and efficiency, and
> also makes implimentation simpler.
>
> --
> Jonathan Billings <billings@xxxxxxxxxx>

Heh.  I'm showing my age here, but when I was a student in medical
school back in the days of mainframes, I was asked to write a database
program to keep track of the medical school curriculum.  Basically, it
looked at what professor in what course was lecturing on what subject
to see what overlaps there were (e.g. both Physiology profs and
Endocrine profs lecturing on diabetes).

So, I wrote this thing in the only language available to me at the time
-- FORTRAN, and we ran it on a Sigma machine.

I maintained it for a couple of years, but graduated from medical
school and went on to my residency.  About six years later, I got a
call from some students at my old medical school saying they had been
tasked with setting up a similar program, and had a copy of my source
code -- though of course there were no Sigmas around.  They said that
they weren't all that familiar with FORTRAN, but were given this as an
examplar.

I laughed and told them the last thing they wanted to do was to try to
decode and refactor a zillion lines of FORTRAN when they didn't know
the language well to start with.  Besides, there were a bunch of
newfangled database programs they could buy for much less money than
trying to refactor what I did -- by this time there was dBase, FoxPro,
etc.  With all these new database programs, they could set up their
system in a couple of hours and be running on a PC for a tenth of the
cost and a hundredth of the effort.

Sometimes it's not always the best idea to keep refactoring old
stuff...

billo