Re: Web camera works intermittently as for recently

On 10/12/20 10:01 AM, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have a web camera, which has worked perfectly on Fedora 32. However,
> recently, it only works intermittently on Skype. Intriguily, if I plug
> it into a different USB port, the web camera works with no problem.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

Paul,

i would check the log via "journalctl -b -0" or similar [1], and use a
search engine to learn about what you're seeing and narrow things down.
It should show software issues that might be effecting the cam. It will
show if the usb is having connection issues. Like some hardware
failures, bad usb cable, etc. I've seen this happen with usb printers. I
replaced the cable or used a different port (damaged port) and it was
fine again.

The first step on many things, is to check the log. Yes, it's low level,
and can be tedious, but unless you're paying for a support contract
somewhere, or paid for commercial software, it's really part of your
(read "our") due diligence, IMHO.

If you've done what you can do, and have some specific things you can't
figure out, post back and someone might be able to help with that.

Please note, that i'm not trying to act as an authority figure with
these suggestions, and you're free to scoff at me and post whatever you
want. :) Also, I'm just another user like you, and don't speak for
Fedora. They are only friendly recommendations, as some list subscribers
may be tempted to ignore questions when the preliminary steps have not
been attempted, and i thought it more helpful to explain all this instead.

1: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/viewing-logs/

thanks,

ITwrx