Re: nmcli and gateway question

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 1:34 PM Ed Greshko <ed.greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2020-08-07 18:44, Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 3:49 PM Ed Greshko <ed.greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>> Hopefully....
>>>
>>> I may be dense, but it seems to me there is no particular advantage
>>> to using resolvectl, or getent over the "ip route" command to learn
>>> the IP address of the gateway.  For my $ those give too little info
>>> to understand how traffic may be routed. And that is what I am
>>> normally also wanting to know when looking at a gateway. But that
>>> may just be me.
>> The complaint was that the iproute tools spit out too much
>> information.
>
> Oh, I thought the complaint was that nmcli, at least the command I
> used, gave too much info. Granted, I was giving a command which
> returned all the info I though the OP wanted.

I remember that someone proposed "ip a" and/or "ip r", but the Todd
said it was too verbose; "nmcli" too.

> FWIW, I only use nmcli to create, edit, control connections/devices
> under the control of NetworkManager. I don't use, and wouldn't use,
> nmcli to search/determine how things are configured on a system I'm
> not familiar with.

If a system's using NM, I definitely use "nmcli" to find out what's
going on, whether I've set it up or not. But, unless I'm setting up a
bridge or a bond, I write out the config under
"/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections".

> Each tool has some "drawbacks" unless you are aware of their use
> cases or have a clear understanding of what you need/want to know.
> For example,
>
> [egreshko@meimei ~]$ resolvectl query _gateway
> _gateway: 192.168.1.1                          -- link: enp2s0
>           192.168.2.5                          -- link: wlp4s0
>           2001:b030:112f::1                    -- link: enp2s0
>
> Returns a list of "default gateways". But, it doesn't tell you which
> will actually be used.

This is abusing "resolvectl"! LOL

It's not meant for displaying routing tables. But a bug report with
the output above might convince the systemd developers to add "metric"
in the case of a gateway, or, simply, in the case of "_gateway".

> [egreshko@meimei ~]$ ip -br -4 route show | grep default
> default via 192.168.1.1 dev enp2s0 proto static metric 100
> default via 192.168.2.5 dev wlp4s0 proto dhcp metric 600
>
> Tells one the same, but does have the metric so you know which route
> would be used first. But you can't, at least I've not found a way, to
> list both IPv4 and IPv6 routes with the same command.
>
> And even both of those, as written, don't show Host routes which also
> need a "gateway" but not one which is "default"

But you're grepping for "default".

> netstat -rn is sorta fine for IPv4, but spits out too much for my
> taste with IPv6. I don't normally care about scope link info. It
> also has a Flag of U which can confuse since some docs say "route is
> up" and other documentation say "route is valid". It can lead some to
> think that it may mean the physical gateway device is "up" and
> working. It also lacks a metric....but I suppose most setups are
> rather straight-forward.

I've never seen "valid". It's "usable" in BSD-land. But "man route"
says that it's "up" in Linux-land.

Like "ip r", "route -n"/"netstat -nr" only show one family at a time,
"inet" by default. Could it be a Linux limitation, one family at a
time?! On OpenBSD, the inet and inet6 families are displayed by
default.