Re: Samba problems -

Ed Greshko:
>> I hate to say this, but in your situation and the need to satisfy
>> your Apple using family members it may be worth the extra few $ to
>> invest in a NAS that supports NFS, SMB, and AFP.  It may help you
>> avoid headaches and keep everyone happier.  :-) :-)

Bob Goodwin:
> Yes I aware of that. I bought the MyCloud  thinking it is essentially
> an NAS. The way the iOS stuff works all she has in her camera/iPhone
> when ready to save them are thumbnail images, saving to the MyCloud
> involved each image file being down loaded from the iCloud server
> which quickly burnt up half a terabyte of my Viasat 60GB allowance

I've played with those WD & Seagate cloud devices.  I wouldn't say that
their configuration is any easier.  Perhaps even harder, as the
configuration options are more limited, and far less information is
available for you to read about them.

They're support of networking file systems is peculiar.  They don't
seem to support individual ownership of files very well, it seems to be
geared towards everyone can do everything to anything, *perhaps* with
some confinement controls in between.  On that point, I feel that
configuring a normal computer to work in a predictable way is better,
and you have far more control over your computer's behaviour.

And the various apps that let you back up to *your* *cloud* always seem
to go out through the internet, and back in again, never just routing
your backups directly through your LAN when you're home.  Android does
the same thing as you've found with Mac phones:  It chews through your
data allowance like crazy, your phone's and your home internet's.  Mine
was an all-or-nothing backup option, too.  It'd back up all your photos
and videos, you couldn't narrow it down to just some of them, and if it
had any communication problems, it'd just start over again and again,
dumping everything into one huge folder in an uncoordinated mess.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1127.13.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 23 15:46:38 UTC 2020 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.