Re: Migrqate from Legacy to EUFI?

On Jul 8, 2020, at 17:11, toddandmargo via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The motherboard has both legacy and eufi on it.
>
> The original drive was partitioned as msdos and  Fedora was installed as legacy boot.
>
> The new NVMe drive requires EUFI to be seen by the bios and by Fedora .  Fedora
> requires gtp to install to an NVMe drive
>
> Even though I knew it would not work, I tried clonzilla'ing the two.
>
> The issue stands that the new  drive has to be gpt, have a 1 mb empty space
> at the beginning to accommodate the EUFI boot stuff and another partition
> for Fedora to handle the EUFI boot stuff

The 1mb empty partition at the beginning of a GPT labeled disk is only needed if you are booting via Legacy boot. While booting via UEFI (the correct order of those letters) you will need the EFI partition to be much larger than that since it needs to hold at least one EFI executable and the grub config and related bits.

> I currently have the NVMe drive with Xfce and FC32 installed on it.  But
> I now have the bios back to legacy and the NVMe drive has disappeared
> again (which is what I temporarily want).
>
> The scope of this server has changed dramatically, so reinstalling might
> no be such a bad idea.  It would dump a lot of sins of the past.  I just
> was to restore users, groups, /home, /export, samba, ftp and I am
> good to go.
>
> Oh, and I am upgrading the old server from 30 to 32 at the moment

I know I needed to rebuild my Fedora server recently, the LVM version used to build it was so old that I was getting warnings in my log watch reports. A testament to how well fed up/dnf system-upgrade has worked, I suppose. Anyway, I took the opportunity to LUKS-encrypt my disks the last time I installed.

It shouldn’t be difficult to mount the old disk and copy over relevant data.

--
Jonathan Billings