Re: Migrqate from Legacy to EUFI?

 ---- On Wed, 08 Jul 2020 13:54:29 -0700 Jonathan Billings <billings@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote ----
 > On Jul 8, 2020, at 16:32, toddandmargo via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > >
 > > Hi All,
 > >
 > > I need to migrate a Fedora server from a mechanical hard drive
 > > running legacy boot to an NVMe drive that requires EUFI to
 > > boot.
 > >
 > > Am I stuck reinstalling everything?
 >
 > Is this a BIOS limitation?  I don’t think there’s any reason why you couldn’t boot via legacy to a GPT-labeled disk with GRUB installed.
 >
 > But if you are migrating, you could boot off the old disk with the nvme hardware attached, and set it up with a UEFI partition, a separate /boot partition, and the rest as LVM, and then migrate the data.  Once you have the correct UUID of the non-LVM volumes updated in your fstab, and the grub2-efi-x86_64 package installed, you can give it a try to switch over.

The motherboard has both legacy and eufi on it.

The original drive was partitioned as msdos and  Fedora was installed as legacy boot.

The new NVMe drive requires EUFI to be seen by the bios and by Fedora .  Fedora
requires gtp to install to an NVMe drive

Even though I knew it would not work, I tried clonzilla'ing the two.

The issue stands that the new  drive has to be gpt, have a 1 mb empty space
at the beginning to accommodate the EUFI boot stuff and another partition
for Fedora to handle the EUFI boot stuff

I currently have the NVMe drive with Xfce and FC32 installed on it.  But
I now have the bios back to legacy and the NVMe drive has disappeared
again (which is what I temporarily want).

The scope of this server has changed dramatically, so reinstalling might
no be such a bad idea.  It would dump a lot of sins of the past.  I just
was to restore users, groups, /home, /export, samba, ftp and I am
good to go.

Oh, and I am upgrading the old server from 30 to 32 at the moment

-T