Re: Output text color (was dnf list color bad)

On Thu, 02 Jul 2020 22:42:47 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Samuel Sieb wrote:
>> On 7/2/20 5:05 PM, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>>> Assuming I'm reading the request right, this part specifically is
>>> about adjusting the coloring in the terminal; making the commands
>>> which are input a different color than the output.
>>
>> My understanding was that the problem is that they are now different
>> which they weren't before.  So he wants to either make them the same
>> again or find some way to adjust the output color.  I don't think your
>> method will make any difference to the color that the output is right
>> now.  It will only change the color of his typing which he's not
>> concerned about.
>
> Gotcha. It's definitely not a method for everyone and far from the first
> thing I'd even want to use for this case. But you can change the output
> color too (subject to applications changing it themselves, of course).

	I see I'm still unclear. Both the above are close.

	In the first place, there is no such thing as A terminal color,
only tab color SETS. I have five profiles, each with its own color set.
(The same profiles have the same color sets on each of our machines.)

	I normally keep eight tabs open. There are three for my user ID on
any of my own machines, all with the same colors; and a fourth, with
different colors, for that user on my domain.

	Two tabs on my machines have root's colors; a third tab is for
root on my domain, with different colors.

	The fifth color set, on the eighth tab, is for my wife.

	I don't much care whether outputs of commands use colors different
from my inputs; it's nice, and convenient, *so* *long* *as* I can read
them. The current problem is that sometimes I can't.

> _If_ I was doing it here, I'd set the terminal text color to what I
> wanted for the output and then adjust the prompt/input color via PS1.
> The opposite can be done too, with a slightly different tput command for
> the trap.  But that's an even less appealing way to go about fixing what
> seems to be a bug or misconfiguration somewhere.
>
> It's unclear to me whether it's all command output or only some which
> differs from what's set as the terminal foreground color.  If _all_
> command output is using a color other than what is set as the terminal
> default, that seems like something which could be caused by having some
> color escape codes in the prompt, perhaps unintentionally?

	IF (big if) I understand aright, the answer is that there are
various colors in command output, such as ls making folders differ from
files; all are fine except one.

	That one is the color dnf upgrade uses to list what it proposes to
change. (What it reports while making the changes is fine.) At present it
shows bright chartreuse on pale blue -- which just fuzzes out.

> Alternatively, I could be way off and this is something specific to the
> Mate Terminal. :)
>
> Maybe a link to an image would help illustrate the problem better?
> Bonus points if the terminal color settings dialog can be included in
> the image.

	I can never remember the name of the canonical site for that, nor
the command, although they make sense while I see them. However, I don't
know if the site would preserve colors sent to it, or make them fit it,
or leave that to each person viewing. Would it matter whether I posted a
screenshot or something else?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.