Re: wayland or not with nvidia

On Mon, 2020-05-25 at 10:55 -0700, stan via users wrote:
> On Mon, 25 May 2020 19:32:02 +0200
> hw <hw@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > This is meaningless without mentioning the hardware you want to use.
> > > Older hardware is not supported by nvidia drivers, but does work
> > > using nouveau.

> > > Unless the search results specify the hardware they are pretty much
> > > useless.
> > >

> > So which hardware exactly does wayland work with?  I guess that needs
> > to be specified for otherwise wayland is useless.
> >
> > Since wayland is supposedly the default for Fedora, Fedora surely has
> > tons of documentation about this and I just couldn't find it.  Or
> > maybe Fedora is useless ...
>
> Why do you think this is a fedora or even wayland question?

Do you think it is not?

>   It is the
> drivers in the kernel that determine what video resources are
> available.  I don't run wayland because it doesn't provide a service I
> need, but because nvidia is ubiquitous, if the kernel provides an
> interface to the device, wayland almost certainly can utilize the
> device.

Does the kernel shipped with Fedora provide such an interface?  If so, then
why does wayland not use the device?  Or does Fedora come with a version of
wayland that is made not to work with Fedora kernels?

>   Have you installed the nvidia drivers from rpmfusion?

yes

>   As
> George said, nvidia recently stopped providing support for their older
> hardware, so if you have that hardware, you are probably out of luck,
> unless you install a linux that is older generation.  I stopped using
> nvidia because of the constant irritation their closed source drivers
> caused me, so I can't help with that.

Why do George and you assume that the hardware is too old?  Please read my
question again.

Besides, what's the alternative to nvidia?