Re: wayland or not with nvidia

On Mon, 25 May 2020 19:32:02 +0200
hw <hw@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-05-25 at 11:03 -0300, George N. White III wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 May 2020 at 10:33, hw <hw@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > what is the current status of wayland with nvidia drivers in
> > > Fedora 32?
> >
> > This is meaningless without mentioning the hardware you want to use.
> > Older hardware is not supported by nvidia drivers, but does work
> > using nouveau.
> >

> > > Some search results seem to indicate that it's supposed to work by
> > > default.
> > > Others indicate that it still doesn't work.
> >
> > Unless the search results specify the hardware they are pretty much
> > useless.
> >

> So which hardware exactly does wayland work with?  I guess that needs
> to be specified for otherwise wayland is useless.
>
> Since wayland is supposedly the default for Fedora, Fedora surely has
> tons of documentation about this and I just couldn't find it.  Or
> maybe Fedora is useless ...

Why do you think this is a fedora or even wayland question?  It is the
drivers in the kernel that determine what video resources are
available.  I don't run wayland because it doesn't provide a service I
need, but because nvidia is ubiquitous, if the kernel provides an
interface to the device, wayland almost certainly can utilize the
device.  Have you installed the nvidia drivers from rpmfusion?  As
George said, nvidia recently stopped providing support for their older
hardware, so if you have that hardware, you are probably out of luck,
unless you install a linux that is older generation.  I stopped using
nvidia because of the constant irritation their closed source drivers
caused me, so I can't help with that.